A Day In Oregon: Timberline Lodge & Tom, Dick & Harry Ridge

The Teardrop & Mount Hood!

One last view of Hood before the clouds roll in….

Mount Hood peeking out above Timberline Lodge

In 1980, Timberline Lodge served as the exterior set for the isolated Overlook Hotel in the Shining, starring Jack Nicholson.

Timberline Lodge Lobby. A pretty nice office for the afternoon!

Timberline Lodge Sunday Brunch Buffet! As epic as the view of Mount Hood right outside the window…

Now for an epic hike to work off that epic breakfast buffet! Nine miles around Mirror Lake and up Tom, Dick & Harry Ridge!

Mirror Lake is famous for reflecting Mount Hood. Not today! After my brief lucky glimpse of Hood that morning, the clouds rolled in.

Tom, Dick & Harry Ridge D.O.G. This has long been one of my favorite hikes in Oregon. On clear days, Mount Hood is startling close. On this day, you wouldn’t even know a volcano looms on the other side of this ridge!

Tom, Dick & Harry Bowie

Young Bowie & Mount Hood from Tom, Dick & Harry, circa 2006

About theblondecoyote

Mary Caperton Morton is a freelance science and travel writer with degrees in biology and geology and a master’s in science writing. A regular contributor to EARTH magazine, where her favorite beat is the Travels in Geology column, she has also written for the anthologies Best Women's Travel Writing 2010 and Best Travel Writing 2011. Mary is currently traveling the backroads from New Mexico to Alaska, writing and living out of a tiny Teardrop camper. When she’s not at the computer she can usually be found outside -- hiking, climbing mountains and taking photographs. Visit her website at www.marycapertonmorton.com.
This entry was posted in Bowie & D.O.G., Hiking!, Photography, Road tripping!, Vagabonding 101. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Day In Oregon: Timberline Lodge & Tom, Dick & Harry Ridge

1. Joni says:

It’s a good thing you are out there for us to live thru vicariously…LOL. Really, you don’t just do the RV thing you go even farther. You will never regret that you lived your life on your own terms. Love the dogs.
    Take care,
    Joni

2. What a beautiful adventure !

3. Caroline says:

I love following your adventures. Thanks for posting. I wish this would have been something I could have done in my youth, but not anymore. If I were 30 years younger, I’d be doing it, too. Stay safe and keep living your dream.

4. OurBoler says:

Looks like an amazing place :) Great pictures.

5. GOAT 山羊 says:

Great pictures, love the top one – but I think it would be hard to take a bad picture with that very photogenic caravan (as we call them in Australia) of yours!

A favourite memory from 2010 was hiking into Timberline on the PCT with two friends. We had a great beer and burger and then inevitably we ended up, despite our original intention, sharing a room there for the night. No regrets!

6. corbin8r says:

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Very inspiring!

7. whitefraise says:

Reblogged this on WHITE FRAISE.

8. I have to ask, did the dogs cross that bridge by themselves? What do you do if a ravine is too steep for them to hoof it?

• M. says:

We are wondering that too. Me thinks that picture on the bridge is courageous! I would probably fall in. But my dog would make it.

• The key to crossing logs is practice, practice, practice! I rarely pass a log, even those just laying on the ground, that I don’t traipse across, just for fun. Unleash your inner child and they’ll take you over all kinds of crazy terrain! :)

• Oh sure, they trotted right across! That’s not the first log they’ve seen! They have 4 wheel drive and a low center of gravity. They’re athletic dogs and very smart. If they can’t get through, they find a way around. We’ve only encountered a very small handful of trail obstacles they couldn’t figure out. :)

9. evea192 says:

Grate post, as usual. Thanks, i love to come here and see where u are at. Your pictures are of good quality, makes me feel that i am there.