Hail to the Golden Gate!

Golden Gate, Golden Section

No trip to San Francisco is complete without crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. On foot, my favorite way to travel, it’s not a short trek. At 8,981 feet from abutment to abutment, this is the second longest bridge in the United States. The Golden Gate Bridge is sometimes billed as the world’s most beautiful manmade structure. After walking more than 5 miles back and forth across the bright vermillion orange span, overlooking the Pacific Ocean to the west and the San Francisco skyline to the east, I totally agree: this is one of the most beautiful spots on Earth.

The Golden Gate, Looking North

Entering the Golden Gate

Fog Rolling In

Golden Gate Close Up

Golden Gate Barbed Wire

Golden Gate Spotlight

Suicide Hot Line

Passing Cargo Ship

Golden Gate Shadow

Golden Gate Light

Golden Gate, Looking South

Golden Gate Self-Portrait

Golden Gate, Marin Headlands

About theblondecoyote

Mary Caperton Morton is a freelance science and travel writer with degrees in biology and geology and a master’s in science writing. A regular contributor to EARTH magazine, where her favorite beat is the Travels in Geology column, she has also written for the anthologies Best Women's Travel Writing 2010 and Best Travel Writing 2011. Mary is currently traveling the backroads from New Mexico to Alaska, writing and living out of a tiny Teardrop camper. When she’s not at the computer she can usually be found outside -- hiking, climbing mountains and taking photographs. Visit her website at www.marycapertonmorton.com.
This entry was posted in Hiking!, Photography, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Hail to the Golden Gate!

1. Allan Williams says:

Wow! Great photos! Thanks for getting my day off to a spectacular start!

2. Would love to go there some day.
    Thanks for sharing your trip on the bridge!

3. coyotejoe says:

pretty decent weather you had there :) did you check out any of the bomb shelters?

4. Aja Lynn says:

Truly one of my favorite places. Thanks for giving me a little taste of it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been out that way. Loved the photos.

5. paulaacton says:

Love the pictures of the fog rolling in

6. Joni says:

I always look forward to your posts and pics…one day, one day. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    Joni

7. Onibe says:

nice set of photos!

8. vishnevats says:

As always I enjoyed your blog and the great pictures, especially the looking back South. I feel I’ve been along on your trip. Thanks!

9. LA Edwards says:

I love your photos!

10. evea192 says:

Lovely, one of my biggest dreams, going to America.

11. Pingback: Conquering IKEA « Travels with the Blonde Coyote

12. Pingback: Fathers & Authors « Travels with the Blonde Coyote

13. Pingback: Black Friday: You Save Even More When You Don’t Buy Anything At All… « Travels with the Blonde Coyote

14. Pingback: Happy Birthday, Jack London! « Travels with the Blonde Coyote

15. beachman says:

wow after reading this one I am wanting my own teardrop and my own adventures to write about..this was/is simply great to get a “feel” of your experience there on the bridge. Pics were fantastic..thank you again Mary..peace out!

16. Pingback: Black Friday: You Save Even More When You Don’t Buy Anything At All… | Travels with the Blonde Coyote